This is a question I get asked a lot. It is a tough question to answer, particularly if you do not have the opportunity to sit in a chair and play around with it. But, here are some points to consider:
1. Weight is distributed differently on different people. Some folks carry their extra weight around the waist, which can be a challenge in chairs that have thigh airbags. Others are just big people that carry their weight evenly distributed throughout the body. Some big folks have broad shoulders which can also prove to be a challenge in some of the chairs with shoulder airbags.
2. Massage chair companies advertise, in their specs, the maximum weight for a user. This figure is fairly nebulous, in my humble opinion, because, as I mentioned in point #1 above, weight is distributed differently in different people. If you weigh 300 lbs but are 6’5″ tall, you will probably fit just fine in any chair…even if the chair states a weight limit of 265 lbs. Most chairs have a stated limited of 265 to 285 lbs.
3. You may, at first, feel that a chair is too small for you but after some playing around with the chair and trying to make the fit work, you may find that you fit perfectly well in the chair. You just need to get accustomed to the chair and you just may find the perfect position for you and your size. Here is a testimonial from a client who purchased an Inada Sogno and was quite concerned about fitting into it when he first received it (as a matter of fact, he wanted to return the chair because he didn’t thing he was going to fit in it at all):
Paul, New York:
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM
This review should help people that are big in size and weight and are on the fence to jump off and make the purchase!
I am 5 ft 11″ 315 LB 40 year old man, who suffers from an incurable medical condition that bombards me with chronic pain.
I had an issue trying to sit on the chair without breaking and crushing the hip air bags, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to use this wonderful therapeutic relaxing healing machine…but after trying over and over I gave up on it and was going to return it…then I decided NOT to give up and try again…success!!! I was able to negotiate safely and properly a way to get into the chair without crushing the hip air bags…once in…everything was perfect!
First off, Inada should rename it’s proprietary “Dreamwave” to “Goodnight Irene”, because this feature will make you want to sleep in no time. It rocks and sways your seat, hips and hip and leg muscles that you just got to try, like floating on a wave and being stretched and held in a gods arms. Every pre-set massage program is amazing as the chair reads your Shiatsu points and length and width of your spine…the stretch program is one of my favorites….awwww heck their all my favorite.
On the bottom of the easy to use remote is the “manual” commands, so you can designate a certain part of the body only to concentrate on. The heat controls are a nice touch and the ottoman will make your feet and calves feel like a million bucks, there’s also a metal plate with half moon balls on it that push up and massage the bottom of your feet…wonderful!!
You can use the strength of the air bags and rollers with the default settings out of the box, or you can adjust the strength and pressure with the remote if you find it too hard for you…but remember, if you have tight unused muscles, or knots everywhere, this machine will take care of it, but if you feel that it hurts it’s because your not used to massages and manipulation of blood and muscles…truly remarkable machine…give it time…you will want to put this machine in your will…lol.
At 315 lbs, while in the chair the motor spoke to me…it said…”Paul, relax I’m an Inada, if you can fit you can sit, now relax and enjoy the massage, I can hold your weight with no problem”. You will find it hard to believe that there isn’t human hands inside this machine!, stress and pain melts away.
Price, yeah I know it’s expensive, however it’s WORTH EVERY CENT!!!!!!
This is no Chinese inferior made product, this is no cheap mall outlet chair with a cheesy 90 day to a measly 1 yr warranty.
This isn’t a chair manufactured by some fly by night company who doesn’t back up their product %100.
Now, for Dr. Weidner, a patient and super informative expert on massage chairs will guide you with a no pressure experience, although I just received my chair, I know if there’s anything I need or any questions he will be there before and after the sale. The very same goes for InadaUSA, nice folks.
So, if your big like me or not, you simply CANNOT purchase a better massage chair, and you cannot get an upper echelon manufactured massage chair for under $4K, this price point for this chair fits the bill for it’s therapeutic capability and excellence in manufacturing…folks…there is a HUGE and noticeable difference in the make and performance of this beautifully designed machine.
I purchased mine in Dark Brown….WARNING….not in the right light it looks pure black…even my delivery guys thought it was black…it’s a TRUE dark brown and it’s a stunning addition to anybody’s home.
The reason I wanted to rush and hurry up my review for this chair is so that anybody that is considering it to NOT wait till Feb 1st, this chair increases in price $800, be a smart and savvy consumer and make this call to Dr. Weidner and staff!!!!
I hope this helped people that are overweight and or hesitant, and I hope this helped out people who need to know this chair’s almost infinite capabilities…but…you need to sit in it first.
Of course I can’t explain every feature and nook and cranny unless your in the mood to read a short novel…lol!!
Thank you for reading my review on the Inada Dreamwave Plus massage chair.
I am 310 lbs currently, been dieting for 2 weeks…just weighed myself while writing this…-5 pounds…I’ll take it. I forgot, when you get off the chair you will notice improved circulation, better breathing, well being, happiness, alive, more energy, and the body’s natural pain blockers in full affect!!
4. One thing that a number of clients have done, prior to purchasing a chair from me, is have me give them measurements of the seat width between the two chair sides, whether those sides are restricted by the built in arm rests or thigh airbags. Some chairs are definitely wider than others. Typically, chairs without the thigh airbags, like the HT-7120 or HT-7450 for example, have a wider berth than a chair like the Panasonic 30007 or the IT-8200/IT-8500. You can measure your seat width in a seated position and then compare it to the seat width of the chair you are interested in. Now, let me just say that this is not a guarantee that the chair will or will not work for you. I have seen what seemed to be narrow seat widths work just fine for a larger waistline. By the way, this applies to shoulder widths and shoulder airbag restrictions as well as seats and thigh airbags.
I am always available to get that seat or shoulder measurement on any chair I carry. Just give me a call and I’ll see what I can do to get you into the right chair.
Dr. Alan Weidner
Latest posts by Dr. Alan Weidner (see all)
- Peace of Mind Lifetime Labor Warranty - February 20, 2019
- Fujimedic Kumo Notes..and more! - February 14, 2019
- Luraco Legend Plus vs. Luraco Legend - February 6, 2019
- Las Vegas Furniture Market 1/29/19 – What I Learned! - February 2, 2019
- Comparing Massage Chair Features? Consider These Options - January 29, 2019