As you may or may not know, I have been a big supporter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for years. It all began when I was still in practice and we sponsored a Wish Child who wanted to go to Disneyland. My chiropractic patients kindly donated to this project over a period of time and we ultimately ended up raising enough money to make this precious child’s dream come true. After the wish had been granted, the Make A Wish folks here in Utah arranged for us to meet the little girl, whose wish we were able to grant through our fundraiser. This whole experience impacted me deeply in a few ways:
- Visiting the Make A Wish of Utah headquarters was a very emotional experience. I had made an appointment with my contact there to go on a tour of the facility and learn more about the company and it’s program. When I arrived for my appointment, the receptionist told me that my contact would be out shortly and they wanted me to spend some time reading as many Make A Wish stories as I could that were posted on the walls of the reception area. There were so many and once I started reading, I couldn’t stop…reading or crying!! By the time my contact appeared for our appointment I literally could not speak because I was so emotional. Tears in my eyes, blowing my nose every couple of minutes, and trying to speak to this lovely lady with quivering lips was too much. I had to take some time to get myself together before I could carry on a conversation. Wow, what an experience! I have 6 kids and I could see every one of my children in every one of those Make A Wish kids. I STRONGLY recommend that you visit a Make A Wish facility if you have one in your town. Amazing all around.
- When the mother of this Wish Child brought her in to meet us, I was overwhelmed in a couple of ways: 1.) the little girl had a very debilitating disease that ravaged her body and left her limp in a wheelchair and her appearance alone elicited an emotional response from me and my staff, and 2.) when the mother told us how the trip to Disneyland had changed their daughter, we were all amazed. The little girl seemed very outgoing, engaging, and responsive with each of us in the clinic. Her mother told us that she was NEVER like that until she went to Disneyland. She said that her daughter came back a completely different person. To her it was miracle that her daughter was interacting with the staff…and it was all brought about by this Make A Wish gift.
- Pretty much all of the kids we learned about, including our Wish Child, had no choice about their disability or disease. They are innocent bystanders of something gone wrong in their bodies. To see how positive they and their families are in the face of a challenging quality of life as well as the prospect of early passing was so inspiring to me.
- The kindness of our patients and staff in donating to this fundraiser was impressive to me. Despite what we may see on the nightly news, I am a firm believer that human nature is inherently good and that most, if not all, people want to be kind and giving and supportive, if given the chance. People were so kind and I was overwhelmed by that kindness in this project.
Well, as a result of that experience, I decided that when I started my massage chair business a portion of every dollar that came to us through the business would go to the National Make-A-Wish Foundation. Soon after beginning Massage Chair Relief, we began donating. To this day, we have donated over $38,000 and helped a number of kids see their wishes come true. All this money really didn’t come from me…it came from folks like you who trusted us with your massage chair purchase. I am really just a middle man in the whole process.
Today, I was visited by Mark Simonson from the Make A Wish national headquarters in Phoenix and presented with a plaque to put on our Utah showroom wall for all to see. It is given to folks who have donated over $30,000 to the Make A Wish Foundation. I wanted to brag about this plaque because it really is a thank you to all of my customers who purchased a massage chair from me. If you are a current customer or a soon-to-be customer, this donation effort wouldn’t be happening. I am grateful for your patronage for many reasons, but this is one of the biggest.
If you would like to donate without purchasing a chair from us, please go to my donation page and give whatever you feel inspired to give. Thank you.
Dr. Alan Weidner
P.S. Give us a “Like”, “Share”, or “+1” and leave me a comment or question below to share what you learned or ask any questions, so other folks can benefit from this material.
Latest posts by Dr. Alan Weidner (see all)
- The New Luraco iRobotics 7 PLUS Massage Chair - September 13, 2018
- Review of the Osaki Pro Maestro Massage Chair - August 8, 2018
- Why Don’t Both Arm’s Airbags Inflate at the Same Time? - August 6, 2018
- The New Human Touch Novo XT2! - July 24, 2018
- Review of Infinity Presidential Massage Chair - June 12, 2018